Friday, March 23, 2012

Puebla de Sanabria





After a long day yesterday (about 25 miles) and about 20 today, I'm pretty tired but still things are easier than when it was hot. In the mornings it is pretty cool...there is frost, but by the afternoons it is sunny and pretty warm. I´ve seen a bit of wildlife: two foxes and two deer along with rabbits which is rather nice. I always thought my mother's hometown was very small but over the last two days I have walked through VERY small villages ranging in population from 14 to 425. So, today's town of Puebla de Sanabria is a veritable "metropolis" with 1700 residents. It is a beautiful town perched way up on a hill with a castle and other gorgeous stone buildings. After the long walk today, I managed to climb the 150 steps up to the center of town and have a stroll around. It is amazingly well preserved and I was pleased to see it. I continue to meet up each evening with the charming and delightful Hans and Eva from Bavaria. They are so much fun and so happy. Eva made us dinner tonight. Usually cyclists fly by and you see them only once but these two are taking it slow which is a treat for me as I really enjoy meeting up with them each evening. English Katherine and German Daniel are also along and it makes for fun, yet early, evenings. I do miss the old crowd as well. I miss Cecilio and his footprints. For days, he would rise early and as the roads are so dusty, I was always able to identify the footprints that his hiking boots left on the trail before me. It was a real comfort as if I was ever in doubt of which way to turn, I would look for his bootprints and carry on. I cannot believe I have just 9, or possibly 8 days of walking left. I thought I would never see the end of this trip. And although it is hard, I am happy to be here but will be happy, too, to arrive in Santiago. Tomorrow I have about a 18 mile day to Lubián which is reportedly another very beautiful, yet small, town.

1 comment:

Leef said...

magnificent photos.